Monday 17 December 2018

SLJ Activity 1: The legend of New Zealand

To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ.
There are so many maori legends about NZ. Different tribes have their own myths and legends about our beautiful Aotearoa, The land of long white cloud. Here is my top three favourite facts off this website.

1. Gisborne is the first city in the world to see the sunrise because it is 496.3 kilometers away from the International Date Line.
2. It is one of the three countries in the world that has two official national anthems of equal standing. The first is God Save the Queen and the other is God Defend New Zealand.
3. It was the first major nation to have universal suffrage. In 1893 all male and female citizens are legally allowed to vote.

Another cool fact is that New Zealand was once governed by the territory of New South Wales and later was a part of Australia.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jess

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey for 2018! It's Allie here and I will be commenting with you over the summer. It's great to see you back again from last year.
    We live in a pretty cool place, don't we!!
    I really like our two nation anthems, and think that this makes us really unique as a country. Everyone knows about the Maori culture and haka when you travel overseas.
    I have never been to Gisborne, but I think it is pretty cool that it is the first place to see the sunrise each day.
    Have you been to Gisborne?
    I will have to put it on my bucket list!

    Well done with your first activity, I am really looking forward to reading your posts over the summer. Enjoy your last days at school. Great you have your first points on the board!!

    Keep up the good work!

    Cheers
    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie

      The Summer Learning Journey is a really fun thing to do over the holidays, on a lazy day you will know there will be something to do.
      I have never been to Gisborne but i would like to because i'm into the ocean, sharks and marine biology and there are some people up there who work on that type of stuff.
      I can't wait to work on my upcoming tasks.
      Jess

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Jess
    I like your post because you have added 4 facts to it and did a bit of describing at the start.

    Blog ya later:)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your positive, thoughtful and helpful comment on my work.